Reply To: First World War letters -Anyone able to help Dr Max Herresthal with information

Caroline Lee
Keymaster

Dear Ms Lee resp. Mr Lechtanski,
thank you very much for contacting me in your attempt to help me localize the place of Brusk in Russia, which may have been misspelled in the Mars edition.
I have found Biysk on a map of Russia, the city which you suggest might be the one that August Piedmont, a brother of my grandfather who was a POW in Siberia
mentions in his report.
Unfortunately I do not believe that this is the place that he means because the context of the other places mentioned in connection with ‘Brusk’ do not make it appear likely that he was referring to Biysk.
Let me explain my view by translating the sentence in which he mentions ‘Brusk’:
-> ‘After a two-week sojourn in Jekaterinburg, where the 23 of us were accomodated in a basement room, the journey continued rather fast via Brusk, Tomsk to Krasnojarsk to the local officers’ camp, where we met 3000 officers, amongst them about 250 Germans.’

Travelling to Biysk from Jekaterinburg and from Biysk to Tomsk would have been a tremendous detour so that I do not regard it as very likely that they made the journey there.
Nevertheless thank you for taking an interest in the problem that I have hitherto not been able to solve.
If another idea of how to solve the riddle should occur to you, do not hesitate to contact me.
Yours sincerely,
Dr Max Herresthal