19th century postal treaties between Russia and Austria

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  perobinson 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

perobinson
    Participant

In the later pre-adhesive period, the 1843 “postal convention” between Russia and Austria established the rules governing the exchange of mail between the two countries.  This treaty was translated by Dave Skipton and the translation published in Rossica Journal No 117. There were evidently two further treaties that were signed in 1849 and 1850, and later ones dated 1854, 1866 and 1873. Does anyone have copies of any of these later treaties, or any information about the effect they had on the carrying of mail from Russia to and via Austria?

cleonard
    Participant

Peter,

I can supply copies of the Russia/Austria postal treaties you require, all except the 1850, which is not known to me. The July 1849 convention became effective on 1 January 1850 (Western calendar) so, is it possible that your 1849 and 1850 treaties are one and the same?

Are you attending the London meeting in October? If you are, I could hand over the copies to you there. In the meantime,if you have any specific queries, please e-mail me: cleonard011@btinternet.com – and I may be able to answer them, subject to my ability to translate the originals.

Best wishes,

Charles Leonard

perobinson
    Participant

Many thanks, Charles!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.