Chinese-Siberian Border Railways

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  BSRP 2 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

BSRP
    Keymaster

Dear Sir/Madam,

I’m writing to you to ask your help with what must appear to be a rather odd request, but I was advised by my editor (an academic journal) that I should ask the BSRP’s advice in this matter, as it was likely that someone in your society would have the necessary knowledge. In brief, I am writing an article which deals, amongst other things, with transport links over the Siberian-Chinese border in 1910. From a map in the “Siberia” entry of the 1911 Encyclopaedia Britannica (Eleventh edition) we have been able to ascertain that there was a rail link between Vladivostok and Harbin by 1911; what we are curious to know is whether there was a further connection between Vladivostok and Mukden in 1910-1911. At present all we have found is a map which shows a railway line leading north from Mukden, with no confirmation that it would have linked directly to a Siberian rail network. Would any of your members be able to point me in the direction of maps which would confirm or deny the existence of a rail link between Mukden and Vladivostok in 1910? I know this is an extremely specialized query, and if you cannot assist in this that’s fine. If you could assist, I would of course acknowledge your help in the article, should it be accepted for publication.

Many thanks,

Yours faithfully,

Karen May

karenmay31@gmail.com

BSRP
    Keymaster

P E Robinson

August 15 2013 (12:16)

Hi Karen – firstly I should mention that Harbin lay on the original route of the Trans-Siberian Railway to Vladivostok. It was only in 1916 that the Amur Railway was completed, allowing trains to run to Vladivostok entirely on Russian territory. The route from Chita to Vladivostok via Harbin was a convenient “short cut” across Manchuria and this line, the Chinese Eastern Railway, was built, operated and policed by Russia by arrangement with the Chinese government. By 1901 trains were running via Harbin to Vladivostok, and by mid-1902 the southern branch of the C.E.R. from Harbin to Dalny/Port Arthur via Shenyang (i.e. Mukden) had been completed. I may be able to help further, and will email you accordingly.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.