First World War letters -Anyone able to help Dr Max Herresthal with information

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Caroline Lee
      Keymaster

Dear Sir or Madam, I was given the hint to contact you by an acquaintance of mine, Mr. Gerhard Ludwig, who is a philatelist in Brussels and who has helped me a great deal finding out more about the location of places both in France and Russia recorded in a family publication covering mainly First World War letters written by German soldiers, places I had not been able to localize, mainly because the were put down in a distorted way. This family publication by the name of MARS was edited by a German historian, Professor Gerd Krumeich, another family member, Prof. Dreidoppel, and myself in 2013. Unfortunately so far I have not been able to identify respectively localize two places in Russia, and would like to ask you whether by the knowledge about the country that you have gained, you could help me find out more about them: 1) Brusk [?]: I have not been able to identify this place, but it seems to be located east of the Ural, probably on the Trans-Siberian Railway between Jekateirinburg and Tomsk. 2) Glun [?]: this place I have not been able to identify either, but it seems to be located in the Perm area. If you could help me to find out more about these two places, where relations of mine were during the war I would be very grateful to you. Yours faithfully,
      [email protected] Dr Max Herresthal

jlechtanski
      Participant

May I suggest Biysk (Бийск) in Altai Krai.

It has a railroad connection to the Trans-Siberian Railway at Altai.

Caroline Lee
      Keymaster

Thanks for response – I have forwarded on to enquirer.

Caroline Lee
      Keymaster

Dear Ms Lee resp. Mr Lechtanski,
      thank you very much for contacting me in your attempt to help me localize the place of Brusk in Russia, which may have been misspelled in the Mars edition.
      I have found Biysk on a map of Russia, the city which you suggest might be the one that August Piedmont, a brother of my grandfather who was a POW in Siberia
      mentions in his report.
      Unfortunately I do not believe that this is the place that he means because the context of the other places mentioned in connection with ‘Brusk’ do not make it appear likely that he was referring to Biysk.
      Let me explain my view by translating the sentence in which he mentions ‘Brusk’:
      -> ‘After a two-week sojourn in Jekaterinburg, where the 23 of us were accomodated in a basement room, the journey continued rather fast via Brusk, Tomsk to Krasnojarsk to the local officers’ camp, where we met 3000 officers, amongst them about 250 Germans.’

Travelling to Biysk from Jekaterinburg and from Biysk to Tomsk would have been a tremendous detour so that I do not regard it as very likely that they made the journey there.
      Nevertheless thank you for taking an interest in the problem that I have hitherto not been able to solve.
      If another idea of how to solve the riddle should occur to you, do not hesitate to contact me.
      Yours sincerely,
      Dr Max Herresthal

jlechtanski
      Participant

I would not rule out Biysk.

Biysk may have been out of the way but it had a POW camp for Austro-Hungarians.

Tomsk had a POW camp as well.  It is also out of the way in that it lies 50 km north of the Trans-Siberian Railway.  Railway access from Tomsk to the Trans-Siberian Railway is through Tayga.

I can imagine a military train taking POWs along the Trans-Siberian Railway from the west to the camps in the east, detouring to the various POW camps and placing prisoners in the various camps according to nationality and whether they were enlisted men or officers.

I wish you good luck on your search.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.