Postal history of the city of Memel

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  BSRP 3 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

BSRP
    Keymaster

Dear Sir,

For a long time I am interested in the postal history of the city of Memel, and I am looking now for the tariff for the letters sent (before1844) from east to west Europe, as this town was at this time at the center of the exchanges.

The “Memel taksa” was a convention signed in 1822 to determinate the postage from russian borders to other countries. I am looking for it.

It seems that some papers issued in your journal are the basic references about this subject :

1 – de Jongh W.J., 1990. The two-numbers code on russian mail to the west, 1822 – 1843. The British Journal of Russian Philately, n° 69.

2 – de Jongh W.J., 1992. The two-numbers code on russian mail to the west. The British Journal of Russian Philately, n° 72.

It seems that important additions are given also in n° 74.

3 – de Jongh W.J. & Steyn I.J., 1993. Russian mail to the west. The British Journal of Russian Philately, n° 75.

4 – de Jongh W.J., 1996. The Moscow Taksa 1783. The British Journal of Russian Philately, n° 81.

Please, would you help me to obtain them and, more generally, other documentation about this subject.

Thank you very much !

Bien sincèrement vôtre.

Pr. René PINEAU
    au bourg
    F – 46100 BEDUER
    (France)

Email : rcpineau@gmail.com

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.