Romanov postage and currency stamps

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  BSRP 3 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

BSRP
    Keymaster

I recently became a member of the Society to learn more for the Romanov collection I am putting together. I have been happily making notes from the index and then looking at the relevant pages from the Journals and printing them to form a reference book to help me with my collection “The Life and Times of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia” which I began about two years ago.

I thought I was seeing things when I reached Vol. 65 and page 29. I thought that the top postcard illustrated was mine! The addressee is identical (except there is K K in pencil after Herr.), the stamps are in the same order but the postcard is a different production.

I have enclosed a scan of my card to save trying to describe it. I would appreciate a translation please of the red two line handstamp across the card as mine has the same handstamp. it would seem that a number were done and it is obviously philatelic but the combination of postage and currency stamps is intriguing.
    I presume that 10 Kopecks would be the rate from Helsingfors (Helsinki) Finland to Copenhagen in Denmark at the time?

Incidentally I have five loose examples of the currency stamps used; 2 x 1k, 2 x 2k and one example of the 3k used and that stamp has a distinguishable part of a postmark TYH. There is not enough postmark on the other four to say where they were used. Comments and observations would be appreciated.

Alan Sabey (UK) wembleyman@btinternet.com

BSRP
    Keymaster

Terry Morris

March 5 2013 (17:22)

The handstamp reads: ‘Opened by the Military Censor. [space for date] Helsingfors Military Censor No.141.’

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.