This year our Annual Weekend Meeting should be better than ever. At least ten members have signed-up to give major displays including three international visitors. As usual the event will be held in the Disney Room at the Union Jack Club, Waterloo, London SE1 8UJfrom 9.30am. Please be sure to note these dates in your diary; we are anticipating nothing less than an outstanding programme with the opportunity to see some superb material.
The formal AGM of the Society will take place on the Sunday at 3pm – do come along and have your say.
The proposed two-day programme of displays is as follows:
- Dagestan – The Mountain Republic – Hans Grigoleit (Germany)
- Batum Postal History and Russian Culture – Misha Alishabaya (Russia)
- USSR – The 30k. Airman Definitive 1937-1947 – Simon Horecký (Slovakia)
- Mail from Independent Ukraine Going Abroad 1918-1920 – Thomas Berger (Switzerland)
- Imperial Russia – The First Low-value Arms Issues – Charles Leonard
- The Cherdyn Zemstvo Post – Edward Klempka & Terry Page
- The Transcaucasian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic – The Star Issues – Ray Ceresa
- St Petersburg Geometric Cancellations – Robin Calvert
- Mail Abroad from Bolshevik Russia 1917–21 and Solovki –“The Mother of the Gulag” (Solzhenitsyn) – Trevor Pateman
…and of course, Members’ Displays. You are invited to bring your own material for display and/or discussion…and please do not worry if it is simply a single stamp or cover! As in previous years, there will also be an ongoing bourse, so you can sell your spare material and enjoy a great opportunity to find something for your collection. Our dealer member, Trevor Pateman, will be on hand with his specialised Russian stock “Armenia to Zemstvo”… and everything in between!
Overnight accommodation on Friday and/or Saturday is available at the Union Jack Club (020 7928 6401 – [email protected]). You are advised to reserve as soon as possible and do not forget to mention that you are attending the meeting in order to qualify for the special Associate Membership discounted rate.
We hope you will enjoy having an opportunity to meet and mix with your philatelic colleagues and experience some world class philatelic displays. The Saturday get-together usually continues into the evening when some members enjoy an informal dinner at Le Côte, a lively restaurant just over the river in Covent Garden (very reasonable prices and good fun!). Your president Lenard Tiller and I greatly look forward to welcoming you in October.
Please download the flyer and complete the return slip to let us know if you’ll be attending.
Sincerely, and with my kind regards,
Terry Page, Meeting Co-ordinator